Large Excel Files
Michael Flannigan
2002-07-28 17:40:11 UTC
My brief foray into Linux was more than a year ago. I installed
RedHat version 7. I left it and returned to Windows when the
Excel-like program in Linux (free version) would not open
my large (20,000+ row) Excel files. It tried to, but gave an
error that I no longer remember. Has anybody had any
luck importing large, single worksheet Excel files that have
more than 20,000 records (rows)?

Mike Flannigan
Frederic Herman
2002-07-28 17:54:19 UTC
Have you tried OpenOffice? I Can't speak about large Excel files, but
the current version seems to be very stable and I've had no problems
opening MS files. Check:

http://www.openoffice.org/
Jim Hale
2002-07-29 01:11:46 UTC
How about StarOffice? Anyone have experience with that? :)

We were looking at the possibility of using it at the Hospital to cut
down on the M$ Licenses that we have to have to stay legal.

Thanks!

Jim Hale
---
http://hale.dyndns.org

Frederic Herman
2002-07-29 01:24:34 UTC
AFAIK, OpenOffice is the same as StarOffice, but without the "support"
from Sun. I switched from StarOffice to OpenOffice and so far, I have
had no problems with it. I used to have some MS file formats crash
StarOffice, but never have had that with OpenOffice 1.0. I just
upgraded to 1.0.1, and, so far am pleased.

Fred
KnowHow Tech Support

Have you tried OpenOffice? I Can't speak about large Excel files, but
the current version seems to be very stable and I've had no problems
http://www.openoffice.org/
My brief foray into Linux was more than a year ago. I installed RedHat
version 7. I left it and returned to Windows when the Excel-like
program in Linux (free version) would not open my large (20,000+ row)
Excel files. It tried to, but gave an error that I no longer remember.
Has anybody had any luck importing large, single worksheet Excel files
that have more than 20,000 records (rows)?
Mike Flannigan
Also Find A Technical Discussion Forum on Our Web Site
http://www.knowhownet.net
What Would You Like to Know?
Anthony E. Greene
2002-07-28 18:43:10 UTC
Post by Michael Flannigan
My brief foray into Linux was more than a year ago. I installed
RedHat version 7. I left it and returned to Windows when the
Excel-like program in Linux (free version) would not open
my large (20,000+ row) Excel files. It tried to, but gave an
error that I no longer remember. Has anybody had any
luck importing large, single worksheet Excel files that have
more than 20,000 records (rows)?
I have opened Excel workbooks that had lots of sheets in Gnumeric, but I
only used StarCalc a little. Both programs have been upgraded in the past
year. StarCalc has a major new release out, and the free version that's
included with OpenOffice.org is available for Windows if you want to try
it out without installing Linux.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Tony
- --
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:Anthony%20E.%20Greene%20%***@pobox.com%3E>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D
AOL/Yahoo Messenger: TonyG05 HomePage: <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
Linux. The choice of a GNU generation <http://www.linux.org/>
Reuben D. Budiardja
2002-07-28 20:50:21 UTC
You might want to try gnumeric. Probably upgrade to a more updated
stable version (1.0.x) than the one provided by Redhat (unless you're
using 7.3, which I think the gnumeric is quite updated). In my opinion,
gnumeric is better than open office in spreadsheet area. In claims to be
fully compatible also with Excel files and functions. It even has more
functions than excel does.

Hope that helps
Rdb
jack wallen
2002-07-29 00:39:41 UTC
biggest problem with gnumeric is that it can only save in excel 95
format - as far as i can tell it can not save in excel 2000 format. this
is a problem in many business environments.

does anyone know if there is a plan to integrate excel 2k formatting.
Post by Michael Flannigan
My brief foray into Linux was more than a year ago. I installed
RedHat version 7. I left it and returned to Windows when the
Excel-like program in Linux (free version) would not open
my large (20,000+ row) Excel files. It tried to, but gave an
error that I no longer remember. Has anybody had any
luck importing large, single worksheet Excel files that have
more than 20,000 records (rows)?
Mike Flannigan
\||/ j a c k w a l l e n
00
Post by Reuben D. Budiardja
- conventional wisdom is the root of all evil
- you've got ta get a new mindset people -
http://www.monkeypantz.net
Key fingerprint = 527F C040 48E3 012A B84A 7CA8 B88D 7DB1 53CD 2DB9
sub 1024g/00541162 2002-07-05
Mike Flannigan
2002-07-29 00:31:35 UTC
I believe OpenOffice is what I used. I see from other postings
that both OpenOffice and gnumeric have been updated and may
be able to import large Excel files now. I may try again someday.

I appreciate all the replies.

Mike
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 11:54:19 -0600
http://www.openoffice.org/
Frederic Herman

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 11:54:19 -0600
Dominic Mitchell
2002-07-29 01:18:28 UTC
I believe that gnumeric can open files with up to 65000 lines. If
I am correct, both gnumeric and Excel have this limit. They will
open larger files, but they will truncate the files at line 65
000.

This is what I recall from a colleague who have used these
softwares on large files.

Cheers